Neptune Theatre School
In Celebration of Dance Week
We have come up with 2 workshops created and taught by Matthew Rossoff.
Musical Theatre Dance: Breath, Body, and Presence (Teens)
Body Presence Workshop: Integrating Breath, Sound, and Text with Choreography for Dancers
INTRO to The Suzuki Method of Actor Training + The Viewpoints with Christopher Manousos
This two-day introductory workshop to the Suzuki Method of Actor Training and the Viewpoints is a gymnasium for artists to challenge the ways in which they move and speak on stage, experiment with new ways of creating character, and rehearsing as an ensemble. These two methods explore the artist’s awareness of time and space in conjunction with their use of text, focus, stillness, and use of the body in performance. During the workshop we will investigate the basic principles of the Suzuki Method and break down the 9 Viewpoints as tools for performance and creation of new work. This highly physical workshop is for actors, directors, dancers, and choreographers of all ages and body-types. Artists will leave the workshop having playfully explored freeing up their impulses, connecting to their bodies, working within an ensemble, and with tangible tools to enhance their performance and creation practices.
Christopher Manousos shares their experiences having trained with Anne Bogart and the members of SITI Company, as well as having trained with Tadashi Suzuki and the Suzuki Company of Toga, in Japan. Christopher has led workshops in these methods in Toronto, Montreal, Saskatoon, Windsor, and Stratford.
Title: Jeu (Play) with Ann Marie Kerr
Based on the methods of Jacques Lecoq the class is designed to introduce ways of playing and imagining theatre creation. The exploration is primarily physical in its approach to character creation and in identifying natural instincts for play. There is a focus on freedom thru improvisation and accessing a natural pleasure to play and invent. In the work, discoveries are made about play -and its rules - and how the rules arise out of the play itself. The work culminates with short pieces of theatre created by the participants that could be used as starting points for scenes or fuller productions.
Please note: Classes will go off sale at 5pm the day before classes start. Please complete your booking prior to that time.
- Students 14 years and older must add 15% HST.
- Students who have a birthday within two months of a class's start date may sign up for that class (i.e. if you are 13, but will turn 14 within two months of a 14-18 class starting, you may sign up for that class.
- Neptune Theatre is the sole owner of the information collected here and on our website. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others.
- Neptune Theatre Foundation cannot be held responsible for accidents or injuries incurred in classes, or on its premises. Students/parents are financially responsible for any physical damage they/their children do to the building.
- All classes are subject to a $35 non refundable fee.
- Some classes have a minimum registration and if that number is not met the class will not be offered. You will be notified of any canceled classes.